Stu, a co-founder of Abeles and Hoffman, and his partner established the firm in 1979. As a principal, he assists clients with mergers and acquisitions, estate and gift planning, business valuations, litigation support services, tax controversies and transactions with trusts, partnerships, S Corporations, C Corporations and individuals. Stu serves a wide variety of clients including retail, distribution, manufacturing, architecture, engineering, construction, advertising, commercial photography and marketing firms. In addition, he has experience working with healthcare providers, lawyers and consultants.
Prior to founding the firm, Stu worked for a national accounting firm, principally as a tax consultant. He also served as an accounting instructor at Central Methodist University. Stu has spoken publicly on a wide variety of topics, including taxation and business valuation.
Stu prides himself on his role as a problem solver for his clients. Throughout his career, he has assisted clients with a wide range of issues. For example, Stu has performed valuations of closely held businesses for estate tax planning purposes in order to minimize family transfer tax costs. In addition, he has analyzed optimal methods to sell an active business to achieve desired financial and tax results.
As a CPA, Stu enjoys the fact that he is one of the key people on a business owner’s team. He attributes much of his success to his hard work and attention to detail. Stu also credits his family, who has always been involved in private business.
A St. Louis native, Stu and his wife, Rita, have two children. Outside of the office, he spends his free time traveling, enjoying theater, and cycling.
“As my clients’ advisor, I am committed to providing the best service and quality work possible. I strive to always exceed my clients’ expectations.”
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV)
- Certified Business Appraiser (CBA)
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA)
Memberships and Associations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Missouri Society of Certified Public Accountants (MSCPA)
- Institute of Business Appraisers (IBA)
- National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA)
- Estate Planning Council of St. Louis
Honors, Activities and Achievements
- 2015 Top Accountant by Louis Small Business Monthly
- University of Missouri – Columbia
- Master of Arts, Accountancy
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration